What is the best treatment for Scalp Psoriasis?
Firstly, what is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a common skin condition affecting 2-3% of the population of the United Kingdom and Ireland.
What does it look like?
Psoriasis appears as raised red patched of skin covered with silvery scales. It is very simply a speeding up of the usual replacement processes of the skin. This process is the same wherever psoriasis occurs on the body.
How does scalp psoriasis feel?
There is thick scales and redness that may also be obvious around the scalp margins, on the forehead, neck and behind the ears. Many patients experience severe itching and a feeling of tightness and some report soreness.
Applying the treatment
The method of applying in the treatment is most important. Cover the hair and scalp with the mixture. It is best to do this in order, working your way around the hair. You may need someone to help you in order to see the top of your head properly. You will find that some treatments need to be left on and some need to be washed out after a set period of time. Do follow the instructions that come with the product or the advice of your healthcare professional.
Can I brush and comb?
Providing care is taken to avoid scratching the scalp, combing and brushing to remove scaling is not only good but also necessary.
What about perms and other hair treatments?
Scalp psoriasis should not stop you having any cosmetic procedures. Having a perm or colouring the hair can have a positive effect on your self-esteem. Hair dyes are gentler than they used to be but it would be best to seek advice from a hairdresser who should have up to date information about possible options, rather than colour or treat your hair at home. It is a good idea to make sure there are no scratches on the scalp when the hair is treated as the chemicals concerned can cause irritation on the broken skin.
I am embarrassed to go to the hairdresser
A good hairdresser should be able to help you manage your hair and scalp. Telephone in advance and speak to a stylist to explain the situation or try to find a hairdresser who will visit you at home.
My hair is coming out!
Some people with severe psoriasis suffer temporary thinning of the hair. This can be very distressing but the hair will grow again once the flare-up has subsided.
Does it go away?
Psoriasis tends to come and go and it can and does go away. Some people may be lucky enough not to have a further flare up. Others may experience long periods of remission. It is unusual for anyone to suffer extensive scalp psoriasis for a long time provided they use treatments as directed.
• Brush and comb hair gently and regularly
• Buy some pillow case protectors or keep a supply of old pillow cases for times when you are using treatments
• Give all treatments a good chance to work – weeks rather than days
• Always read the instructions carefully on all treatments
• Tell your GP or Dermatologist if any treatment is causing you problems or discomfort
• Try different hairstyles to cover any psoriasis on the hairline
• Wearing light coloured clothes on the top half of your body will help to disguise falling scales
Treatment – Aalgo 100% wild organic seaweed
Aalgo is the market-leading natural treatment, for eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, dry and itchy skin conditions. Aalgo is fast, easy to use, and effective, in turn radically changing skin health and condition.
Using only the natural healing properties of seaweed, Aalgo has helped 800,000 people from over 30 countries alleviate, enhance and nourish irritated skin for more than 18 years.
Please note with tinted hair, always do a strand test behind the ear.
• Mix 2 teaspoons of Aalgo powder with a small tub of natural yogurt. (There is something between the yogurt and seaweed that only works on the scalp.
• Cover the hair and scalp with the mixture.
• Cover the hair with kitchen transparent film (cling film), keeping behind the ears and above the forehead.
• Leave on for one hour and then wash out (In extreme cases overnight).
• Repeat every second day leaving on for 10/20 minutes until totally clear.
• This exfoliates away all the dead and dry skin, and also stops the itch and flaking scalp.
• Then use Aalgo shampoo bar to keep the scalp clear.
(You will require the 650g jar for these treatments)
What makes Aalgo so special?
The sea is the source of many healing advantages, as a result Aalgo aims to prevent people, children in particular, from suffering the excruciating pain, irritability, sleeplessness and itching brought about by many skin disorders.
In order to provide the best quality product the Aalgo powder is 100% organic seaweed taken from several different oceans. These naturally cultivated seaweed beds are changed on a regular basis to maintain Aalgo’s position as the market leader in this field.
Aalgo is suitable for treating
-Eczema & Dermatitis
Visit the website at http://www.aalgo.com, or Follow on Facebook at the Aalgo Page to learn more.